Betsy

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 8, 2010

Not a Good Day in the Neighborhood

My day has not been so fun. It all stems from home ownership and this most wonderful cold snap that we are currently experiencing with the weather. My day started out poorly when I simply tried to leave my house. I'm sure everyone wants to know what my house looks like, so I am posting this picture for your viewing pleasure. I've been told my house looks like something out of a children's book. See below:
Psyche! This is actually the groundskeeper's cottage from a park in London. This was taken when I visited there back in 2007. But how jealous would you be if this really was my house? Moving on...
This is more like it. This is the actual abode where I reside. I removed the heinous old-timey aluminum awnings 2 summers ago, but can't find an updated picture. When I pulled them off I placed them behind my garage so that I could take them to the aluminum man and get the $0.94 that I'm sure they were worth. When I awoke the next morning, someone had beaten me to it. That's right, I was robbed of my 1950's aluminum awnings by some heavy metal thieves. I felt violated. Anyway, along with those aluminum awnings comes ORIGINAL ALUMINUM WINDOWS. Yes, you heard me right.
I also have a slopey driveway that is damn near impossible for me to summit with my hot sassy B. Fraulein simply cannot traverse the driveway when it snows. As I tried to leave this morning, I found myself rolling backwards with the zeal and speed that my sister displayed when she used to rollerskate at the Wigwam as a 10 year old. I cried. I cursed. I was helpless. So I called this guy:
Meet Mark. He's married to Marinda, one of my dear BFFs. He is about 6'4'' and a firefighter. I know. Fabulous. He also can fix anything. He fixes my car, caulks my bathtub, paints my cabinets, etc. He's a jack of all trades. I love him. So, when Frau rolled back down, I called Mark in tears. Within 10 minutes he showed up to bail me out. He was like Paul Bunyan in my driveway this morning. Brute strength, I tell you. He dug me out and I journeyed on to school.
My weather woes continued when I got home. As you know from my previous posts, I recently got a new furnace. Francine is keeping me much warmer. However, I still have ORIGINAL ALUMINUM WINDOWS. They are a bit drafty. I give you a photo of my office as it looks normally ( please note the advanced degrees on the wall).

This is what my windows look like now! Witness me saran wrapping my windows! It involves tape, a piece of plastic, and my hairdryer! This is a fabulous, low cost alternative to replacing your old, drafty windows with new, energy-efficient windows. There are literally no drawbacks to this plan. My windows are covered with lovely sheets of plastic. I also can't open my blinds until April, since they are saran wrapped closed. It is way too difficult to try and get the plastic sealed UNDER the blinds. Geez! So a little bit warmer, but no natural sunlight until the spring. I can't wait!

No comments: