We kicked off the weekend before Christmas with a short little overnight jaunt to TH. California Courtney took the red eye from San Fran, and landed Thursday morning at 6:20 a.m. I told her we would be more than happy to deliver her home, but not at 6:20 a.m. Court is a world traveler (not exaggerating) so I told her to pretend she was on the streets of Bogota, and to take a nap in the Indy airport. She did and we picked her up at around 8.
G was excited to see Court and also the horses that reside at her parents' house.
She even packed a little bag of baby carrots and an apple for the horses.
It was a gorgeous morning and Genevieve tried to pretend she was an equine lover, but then quickly recalled that she is scared of most everything.
Court was very patient in trying to explain things to her...
just extend your hand-
nope!
Our visit was not as lengthy as I would have liked because on that particular morning my odd kid decided she was scared of dogs too. Teri and Ken have a Goldendoodle, and we all know how ferocious that breed can be.
G is sometimes terrified of dogs.
Other days she likes them.
When she decides she is scared, her behavior is beyond embarrassing.
She squeals and tries to climb my frame and acts like a total weirdo.
We returned home the next day.
Trinity and I decided to start a new tradition of spending Christmas Eve at home.
We went to St. Elmo's for an early dinner at 4:30.
The bigwigs at St. Elmo's had received Genevieve's memo about prints being in for Christmas 2017.
G was so excited all day that she refused to take a nap. My girl still naps for almost 2 hours at preschool. She needs her naps.
About halfway through our delightful meal she decided she was too tired to sit upright.
Awesome!
She rallied to eat a bit and smile with her father and her leftovers.
We finished around 5:45 and still had time before mass started at 7. She started whining about not going to church and how it was too cold and she was too tired.
Trinity drove around to look at Christmas lights and she came close to falling asleep in the car. I was starting to doubt myself and my dinner/mass timing.
Trinity was skeptical.
Then I told myself if Mary could be the amazing mother that she was and ride on a camel while all kinds of pregnant, then I could get my daughter to church via a heated SUV.
Hallelujah!
We did it!
She even behaved and mass was beautiful.
She was on the draggin' wagon by the time we left but was very proud of herself for lasting until 8:15 in big people church.
She was awake by 6:15 on Christmas morning. We opened gifts and had breakfast together in our house. We were already loaded up and we arrived at my parents' by 10:00 a.m!
Holler!
I was just bursting with pride over my accomplishments.
The cousins were dressed as a trio of Starlight mints.
I love that my siblings and I had kids who follow the same birth order as us. They are spaced much further apart in age, but they totally align with our own personalities. Caroline is caring, nurturing, and far more mature than her age might indicate. Genevieve as the middle grandchild is loud, bossy, and the center of attention. Robby is a big baby who is quiet and lets everyone do everything for him.
G idolizes Caroline but intentionally tries to peeve her. She loves Robby because he does whatever she wants him to do.
That's pretty much how my relationships worked with Katie and Robby.
The typical Christmas hijinks ensued.
Uncle Kent, Aunt Cindi, and John and Scott came for Christmas dinner.
Scott brought his lady.
It is hard to believe the twins are 23.
Of course, I'm 38.
We wore our traditional Christmas cracker crowns.
We had a fabulous meal and it appears that I did not get a picture of my mother or sister.
They were there, taking care of everyone.
That's how they do:)
They are the workhorses of the family.
I like to sit.
We left for Owensboro on the 26th.
Shirl gave G this princess phone case and pretend phone. It was a hit.
Abby loves a themed gift. One of G's favorites was a personalized book with a matching pair of red shoes.
It was a darling story and not the traditional story of the red shoes where the little girl can't stop dancing in the shoes and like dies of exhaustion.
We opened gifts and had a wonderful dinner that Papi and Abby made.
The next day we relaxed and then went to the movies. Trinity and I saw Star Wars and Abby and Papi took Genevieve to see Ferdinand.
Shirley was smart and stayed home to enjoy solitude.
We had dinner that evening at Mellow Mushroom, one of my favorite pizza spots.
I loved our new tradition and that we still saw both sides of the family.







No comments:
Post a Comment