Betsy

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Holiday Happenings

We have been such jolly people during this Christmas season.  The month of December was full of fun events.  Genevieve went to stay with YaYa and Bob during the first weekend of the month for the annual Christmas parade in Terre Haute.  They did not do this parade when I was growing up, or even when I was a young adult.  Forgo all the fun until after I leave, TH.  
G wore her antlers and according to her Aunt Katie, "behaved like a total lunatic in hopes of getting lots of candy."  



I received texts and videos of how sugared up she was. 

She calmed down enough for a Christmas performance by the TH symphony.  I'm hoping she was inspired to practice her violin.  


YaYa had the twin beds in my old bedroom dolled up for Christmas and the girls had matching pajamas.
G is not pictured because at that point she was totally unwilling to cooperate.  


Trinity and I had a most festive dinner at The Loft at Trader's Point.  I do love that restaurant.  They had the most glorious tree that was so beautifully illuminated that it turned us into faceless shadow creatures.  


Our food was divine and the restaurant just looked so enchanting.  Trader's Point is a working farm, so I found the resident cat and scooped it up for an impromptu and totally one-sided makeout session.  


The 2nd weekend of December I attended my annual ornament exchange and Christmas party with my fellow teacher besties.  This is the time of year when we are able to avenge others' selfish use of the copier during the last 3 minutes of prep time by unabashedly swiping ornaments from one another.  
Ha! 
We gorged, drank lots of wine, and plotted to take one another out of the running for Teacher of the Year.
Another funny!


Mom and Dad took the entire crew to the Santa Brunch at The Columbia Club that Sunday.  
We got this beautiful family picture and I did my part by closing my eyes.  

I mean, seriously!!!!
Caroline is now old enough to tote Robby, thus putting herself in the contest for which family member will first need chiropractic intervention for hauling that sack of potatoes around. 

I mean he is the most precious baby boy in the history of ever, but he is HUGE.   


Santa arrived at the brunch with much fanfare.  He chose the girls to sing with him as he entered and G was granted access to a microphone and a set of jingle bells.  The rest is history.



Robby was a bit apprehensive about Mrs. Claus.  Brother had to hoist him up there.  


Now you may be asking, why is that giant baby wearing shorts in December?
Because his grandmother is Jane and he was born in 1952.  


The best part of this whole scene was that dumb Mrs. Claus clearly mistook our barely 13 month old for a walking talking bonafide toddler.  She put him on his feet as if he would just walk right off of the stage.  He toppled forward into the arms of his equally gigantic father, who is accustomed to being unfairly judged as older, wiser and more capable based on his height.  
Big Robby for the save!


He was returned to the safe arms of his mother so his father could engage in some eye closing akin to his twin sister, me.




That evening we attended Christmas at the Zoo with Trinity's work.  They gave us tickets and also hot chocolate and cookies to enjoy while we explored.  


We had to bundle up because it was cold!


We rode the zoo train to see more lights.  


Genevieve had her Christmas program at school on the 17th.  That morning, she told me she was super nervous.  I was a bit surprised and then she told me she had to stand by herself, hold the flag, and lead the pledge by talking into a microphone.  


She did a fabulous job and I got a bit teary eyed.
I texted this to all of my family and my snarky brother asked, "did you take a knee?"  
Lord.


G wore her 12 days of Christmas dress from Abby to many of our holiday events.  When G protested the 2nd time, I reminded her that it was the ___th day of Christmas at that point, so she had to wear her dress.  



Not to be outdone, I took to the stage to narrate the Abraham Lincoln Elementary Christmas program with my friend Mindy.  

The next day Uncle Robby and mother took G to the Carmel Christmas market, where they lasted all of 10 minutes before retreating to the warm car.  


Robby and Meghan went to her company Christmas party one evening, so we were more than happy for a sleepover with Robby.
He is the most perfect baby ever.  


We rounded out our pre-break festivities with The Nutcracker at the Toby theatre at the IMA.  
Pal Kirby's girls were dancing.  



G loved it and was impressed with both Peri and Phoebe's performances.  Phoebe was a mouse in the 2nd act.



We got to mingle with her during intermission. Please note that Phoebe is in 2nd grade and G is in pre-K.  Phoebe turned 7 in July, approximately one week before my wedding anniversary.  I recall this because Kirby wore her in a Moby wrap to my wedding and she did not make a peep!  

My final day with my kiddos was the 19th and I got lots of goodies!  



No comments: