Betsy

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Engagement Story

This post will be a departure from my usual sassiness and sarcasm, as I am simply smitten, and gloriously happy. This weekend I got engaged to the most wonderful man I have ever met. I am so blessed that he came into my life, and I must say that it was after many years of praying and hoping that there was someone out there who would love me just for me, and with all of his heart. Thankfully, that person is Sweet T, and on Saturday, February 13th, he told me that he wanted me to be his wife.
He took me to the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, for a special Valentine's Day getaway. We checked into our lovely room, overlooking the Delta Atrium, and Sweet T promptly told me to take a nap, that I would not get my gift for bit. He brought out some champagne, and started to put it on ice. I was very thrilled, as I love champagne!


Here he is, preparing to ice a bit o' bubbly.
Here I am, enjoying the view, after surprisingly refusing to nap. I wanted to enjoy the view, and have 2-6 glasses of coconut rum and Diet Coke that we brought from home. I was completely oblivious to anything at this point.
Fast forward, this is the aftermath of the question. After begging for my gift, which was a big red box, I was told to put on the dress I brought for dinner and then got sit on the balcony. 5 minutes later, Sweet T arrived with that little glass of candy hearts. I went to snag one, and inside was a sterling silver heart with "Marry Me" engraved on it, and my fabulous ring tied to it with a ribbon. I would love to say that I listened as Sweet T poured out his heart. Actually, as he was bent down on one knee, I grabbed his face, squeezed it really hard, and then starting shaking and shrieking. I said "YES!!!!" and then shoved that ring on my finger. We were hugging, laughing, shaking, etc. and then he brought in the red box. It was actually a set of lovely champagne flutes from his parents, along with a handwritten toast from them. We got out the champagne, and sipped as we looked at this view.
Minutes of bliss passed before I jumped up and ran screaming into the room, "I have to call my mom and dad! I have to call Katie and Chip! I have to call Robby." Sweet T laughed as I ran inside to grab my cell phone.
My precious.

Here I am discussing the situation with my brother, who was thrilled. I couldn't reach my parents, since they were ironically at a wedding. I quickly learned that they already knew.
This is me talking to my brother in law, the one and only Chip Kenworthy. "I'm getting married!!!" I screamed. Chip, ever cool and collected quipped, "Bets, congratulations. I can honestly say that I never thought I would see this day." He is a hoot, you see.
First photos as an engaged couple taken with the self-timing camera.

We met Rusty and Mary Fran for cocktails, and MF was completely shocked, as her husband knows she can't keep a secret, so she was not informed. We are very similar in that regard.
We had a wonderful dinner at the Old Hickory Steakhouse and were treated to a lovely meal by Rusty and Mary Fran and Rusty's parents, Tom and Carol.
This is the next morning, the first of many phone calls from my mother, Jane. Let the planning commence!

4 comments:

Miss C said...

Congrats, Betsy! The ring is beautiful and you look extremely happy! Couldn't be happier for you!

Erica

meezo said...

Congrats!!!! The ring is divine!!

reusserfamily said...

I've been waiting for this post for YEARS!!! We are so thrilled for you. We need to get together for walk and treat ourselves to cupcakes afterwards so you can drown with every detail of the wedding planning!!!

Alison T West said...

Congrats, Betsy!! I am so happy for you both :)