I was at work today, and had a funny little experience. I was sitting at my desk, which is right by the door and looks out into the 3rd grade hallway. The position of my desk leads to unavoidable greetings by children throughout the day, which can be annoying after about the 50th, "Hey Miss ..., what are you doing?" "Well, if you must know, child, I am shopping the mid day dash sale at Neiman Marcus.com, and hoping the school district isn't monitoring my computer usage."
But seriously, when I was working at my desk around 11 a.m, I witnessed a hoot of an incident. A very vivacious and free spirited 3rd grader named Rubi came bouncing down the hall. I watched as Rubi did a quick little scan of the hallway. She surmised that she was its only occupant. She did not see me perched behind my desk, sitting there just like a spider, ala Scarlett O'Hara. A smile spread across her little 8 year old face as her hands shot up by her ears. Drum roll.....CARTWHEEL!!!!! Oh, and a very poorly executed one at that. She rose back to her feet, looking quite triumphant until she locked eyes with me.
My first reaction was to roll out of my chair in laughter. No, no, that was my second thought, right after running out and challenging her with a round off backhand spring. I had to resist both urges and remember my role as a model of good choices. The disciplining went something like this:
Betsy: Rubi, come in here please.
(Rubi sheepishly enters my room.)
Betsy: Rubi, did you just do a carthwheel?
Rubi: Yes.
Betsy: Why on earth did you do that?
Rubi: I dunno, I guess I wanted to.
Betsy: What are our hallway expectations?
Rubi: (verbatim) To not do cartwheels in the hallway?
Betsy: Well, no, that is not one of our hallway expectations. We like to keep our rules simple, so our expectation is that you walk in the hallway. If you are walking, you can't possibly be cartwheeling. Save those for recess.
Oh, sweet, sweet Rubi. I don't often do cartwheels anymore, but sometimes my 29 year old brother plays with toys.
I do interpretive dances with hippies.

No comments:
Post a Comment