Betsy

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Childhood Secret

Did you know that I was a model? When you think of models in the 80's, certain names come to mind:

Cheryl
Christie
Elle




Now I've got a new name to add to that list of mega names in the modeling industry.
Betsy
Back in 1984, this 5 year old looker sold the s*** out of some faux fur quilted coats in small town Indiana.


As I mentioned before in a previous post, we had a locally owned department store in my hometown. Meis was the place to shop, and they sent out seasonal catalogs to advertise their wares. When the seasons changed, I knew my agent, who also moonlighted as my mother, would start negotiations for my print ads.
She also pimped out my brother and sister too. Throughout the early to late 80's, all three of us were regulars.
Elizabeth, now Kashmir's bed buddy, got an early start too in the industry. Here we are using our charms to sell corduroy jumpers. I truly can't believe there is photographic evidence of me wearing tights here. Mother must have spiked my juice with Benadryl, because there's no way I donned those without chemical assistance.
This year there was a significant increase in kindergartners wearing knit dresses due to my influence. I mean, really, who wouldn't want to imitate that glamorous girl with that horrendous haircut? Or is that a boy in a dress?

I believe there was a supermodel who famously said, "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000." Well, people, I couldn't be coaxed from a nap for less than $25 a shot.

I do distinctly remember that was the going rate. I could leave a shoot knowing that a check for $75 was coming in the mail. That money was usually spent before I even received it though. I found that it took regular 8-balls of coke to keep my figure camera-worthy. Okay, that last sentence was totally from Drew Barrymore's childhood, not my own-
I leave you with a few parting shots. I'm a little dismayed that Meis sold real fur. I was already a card carrying member of PETA by preschool, so I said no to that one.
Lastly, did anyone not have one of these coats?

No comments: