This is a photo laden post.
For those of you who enjoy that sort of thing, you're welcome.
Photos may include, but are not limited to, me taking pictures of myself in bathroom mirrors.
If that isn't something you enjoy, I suggest you go do something important, like your taxes.
That being said, let the tale of wonder unfold....
I begged Trinity to take me to "America's Resort." That would be The Greenbrier. I think all of the US presidents have stayed there, and also Prince Albert and Princess Grace. Even Wallis Simpson stayed there, that divorcee!
Scandal!
Of course, I had to stay there.
It is in the middle of nowheresville, West Virginia.
Trinity couldn't believe I wanted to travel 7 1/2 hours to stay in a hotel. "A resort!" I corrected him.
So off we went.
Here she is-
Now the Greenbrier is known for its sassy decor. It was designed by Dorothy Draper, who started the first interior decorating firm in the 50s and made interior design a career.
Some might say this place is gaudy.
Then I might gauge out your eyes.
These first few photos are just interior loveliness.
This pink ballroom was delightful.
That chandelier was in Gone with the Wind.
T asked me to name the scene.
I imagine it was in Tara.
The Greenbrier also enforces a dress code.
Jackets for men and dresses for women at dinner.
Trinity loved that, let me tell you!
We ate one night in the main dining room.
The Greenbrier's signature dessert is peaches.
They were divine.
I subsidized my diet with fresh peach martinis and bellinis while I was there as well.
I've heard that helps with scurvy.
Lord knows we weren't getting any sun.
It snowed the entire time.
They also have a theatre there.
This was my reaction after learning that the showing of The Scarlet Letter was the 1934 version, not the one with Demi Moore.
I nearly fainted on that chaise lounge.
This was not staged at all.
Completely natural in my world.
So is this.
1st photo in the bathroom.
This bathroom wallpaper wasn't all that cool.
Apparently, I just like to take photos of myself.
They served coffee in the upper lobby each morning.
T enjoyed his.
I may have actually had to tell him to remove his foot from that coffee table.
"We're not at home, you idiot!" may have been my battle cry.
I read by the fire.
Put on some makeup, why don't you?
Your face has disappeared.
T iPadded in the room.
There was a lot of floral.
Not Laura Ashley make you wanna puke floral though.
The pool was glorious.
It was like being in 1955.
So glam.
There was an old school white rotary phone on the table a few chairs down.
I picked it up and screamed, "Rock, it's Doris. Get off the party line now!"
You all know I love to scream.
Speaking of screaming, can you scream "astroturf?"
T shot this from across the pool, thus somewhat camouflaging my sturdy legs.
And zoom!
There they are!
Marriage is all about compromise, and after hours of napping, sipping tea and reading, I had to do something for T.
We went on a jeepin' adventure.
He paid for an hour lesson and we hit the trails.
Buckle up, Buttercup.
This is slightly out of order. Me again.
Back to the Jeep.
We took it on 2 wheels a time or two.
My handsome chauffer.
Where am I?
It's me, it's me!
Back inside the hotel I was just loving this pink.
The angle looks a little off and I look like Alice after she drinks that bottle that says "drink me" and gets all big.
More wallpaper!
I came across this magical seat. Naturally, I needed a photo.
Then this lady walked by and was all like, "let me take your picture so you can get your husband in there too." Those kind West Virginians. I tried to decline. She insisted.
She kinda blew my imaginary game.
Didn't she know I was pretending to be Barbara Eden and Master can't fit in my genie bottle?
Geez!
Later, T got money for the casino.
It was pretty cheesy.
I wanted to go all Esther Williams in that fountain.
I pretended to be a lot of glamorous ladies on the trip.
I leave you with another photo of a floral festooned water closet.
I loved this place.
The people were gracious and the place was beautiful.
T and I relaxed and had a great time.
He was a little tired of me after I sang only one line from Country Roads repeatedly all the way home.
"West Virginia, Mountain momma...take me home...."


















No comments:
Post a Comment