Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Play dates and Aunt Katie

This past week we went to the library to check out more books and have G's Summer Reading Challenge card punched.We are totally killing that challenge, or rather I am.


G would not have anything to do with a Clifford selfie.
We lunched at Panera


and then shared a cupcake.


We went home and napped only to wake up for her daily after work snack with her father.  


She accomplished all of that while dressed as a Starlite mint.

Sweet Jenny hosted a pool party for all of my teacher pals and their children.
BFF Marinda was very attentive to Lady G, and cut up all of her food into li'l bitty baby bites.



Camille and Walker (ages 8 and 11) were fine to hang in the hot tub, allowing their mother uninterrupted toddler time.  

Special K and I have really been living it up on the screened in porch lately.  


We hang and cuddle while I drink my coffee and we savor our 15 minutes that is void of all rabid toddler antics.  
It's like old times.
Except we're not in credit card debt and we have a screened in porch now.
I remind her that it has been advantageous for both of us that I was taken as a wife. 

Genevieve had a play date with Margo and Rosie, Jenny's daughters.   


I have decided that you can only have play dates with your own besties.  You spend a lot of time saying awkward things like "we share" and "she can play with that.  I'll find you another doll." 
If I wasn't such good pals with Jenny I would find it incredibly exhausting.  Not that Genevieve has any friends that have called to invite her over.  Should I be worried?

On Saturday morning Aunt Katie arrived for an overnight visit.  She came solo to visit me and her friends.
Mostly just her friends.  She totally tricked G by waking her up from her nap.  In G's stupor we think she thought Katie was YaYa. That's an easy mistake, since they are the same person.
Genevieve let Aunt Katie hold her, change her diaper and kiss all over her.  


You may have noticed I just said diaper.  I mentioned potty training at some point.  What a fool I was.  I devoted an entire day to that ordeal and the only person who used that dinky little potty was me.  
Oh, for shame.
That is a true statement.  As I teacher I know that I must model appropriate expectations for my student, therefore I squatted on that cereal bowl sized portable toilet.
My child did not use the potty.  
Gosh I hate that word.
 No accidents, but my toddler held her bladder and bowels ALL DAY except for her nap when she went in her diaper.  
I learned two things that day:
1.  My kid possesses the physical ability to be potty trained since she can control herself.
2.  Ain't nobody got time for that.
At 22 months, she is still on the young side, so I'll wait a little longer and try again.
That's code for "I'll let the daycare ladies do it."


We picked up Allison and went to the blow-dry bar up in Carmel.  As Annie Lenox and Aretha once said, we were "Sisters  doing it for themselves."
Oh no we weren't.  
We paid someone to do it for us.  



Jamie then joined us and we paid a lot of attention to the stuff behind the curtain at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.  
We met Robby and Meghan at Ocean Prime for dinner.  
Here I was happy in the bar.


That smile and sleek hair quickly faded as the minute ticked past our 7:30 reservation.
The smile, not the hair.
That still looked great.

I continued to harass the modelesque hostesses and when I was promptly ignored by a manager I decided to bid a rather loud adieu to those fools.

My face got all red as I announced I was starving and leaving since it was 8:30 and "that man ignored me" as I pointed out the guy like he was in a line up.

The head dude manager then came to my aid, and we were quickly seated with free shrimp cocktails.   I don't usually cluck at people, but I did pull out a bit of 7th grade attitude, and it was effective.
The food was great, but I shan't be returning.  
I mean, seriously Ocean Prime people.
My sister lives in Mayberry, TN and rarely enjoys an adults- only dinner at a restaurant with cloth napkins.  Thanks for ruining it.


Thanks for the visit, Kate.











No comments: