We left Charlotte on Saturday morning and drove down to Isle of Palms. I am the self-appointed family vacation planner. I pride myself on choosing the best vacation houses. I have some high standards, friends. When we arrived I was thrilled to see that the house was just as lovely as the photos online.
My little crew was the first to arrive, since the rest of the fam had stopped to tour the Biltmore Estate in Asheville. I do love that place, but I've already been there twice. Two bouts of extreme jealousy are about all I can take. That place is amazing.
As soon as we arrived, we spend some time in our pool.
Trinity's pal Josh lives in Mount Pleasant, which is only about 20 minutes from where we were staying. He and his wife Heather delivered Mexican food to us on our first evening. We had a great time catching up and introducing our children to one another.
The girls were fast friends and engaged in some Monkeys Jumping on the Bed playtime. Peyton is 3 1/2, and Lorelei was born 3 days after Genevieve.
The rest of the family arrived around 8:00 on Saturday. We drove into Charleston on Sunday to do the touristy carriage ride. My family had done this years ago when Kate and I were in college and Robby was still in high school. We stayed on Kiawah Island and Mom and Dad let Katie and I take our college boyfriends. Now they shared a room, so Jane and Bob weren't that liberal, but still!
It makes me chuckle now that I'm a parent myself.
We fueled up for the carriage with some fudge and pralines.
This candy guy was just enamored with my daughter.
It was so cute.
Maybe he was just trying to sell more pralines.
Yes, well his plan was a success.
I filled my bag with those brown sugary slabs of heaven.
We had to wait for our ride. Genevieve busied herself by eating Cheezits whilst sitting on the sidewalk.
Such a southern belle.
I will toot my kid's horn now. She was great on the hour tour. She listened to the guide and would randomly scream "yee-haw" and point to the horse. It was pretty cute. She was just so excited.
Mom snapped this picture as she turned to the rest of the family to scream "yee-haw."
For some reason this picture makes me think of my favorite scene in What about Bob? when Bill Murray keeps screaming, "I'm sailing! I'm sailing!" Then the camera pans out and he's tethered to the mast of the sailboat. Or maybe the starboard. I don't know my boat parts. I just find that scene hysterical.
We spent some time on the beach and this year G got along better with the sand. Less screaming and more slinging.
This may be my new favorite family picture.
YaYa and Bob took the girls to the aquarium in Charleston one morning. Katie and I decided to dress them as twinsies, because we're like that.
I called them Arnold and Danny, since they are about the same size difference as those two stellar actors in Twins.
I'll cease with the 80s/90s movies references.
Those pants made them like chameleons at the aquarium. They blended right in with the water.
That's a river otter.
One evening YaYa and I hung around while the rest of the family went to a baseball game in Charleston.
The Charleston Riverdogs played the Savannah Sand Gnats in a stellar minor league baseball game. They had fun but said they were about as good as watching a high school baseball game.
Trinity and I went to WholeFoods (my happy place) and bought Caroline a cake. She was so helpful and attentive to Lady G.
This stair step selfie was Sista Katie's idea.
She's always whining about the size of her forehead, which I totally understand. I have a fivehead too.
When she sent this I nearly fell over.
This didn't exactly help her cause.
Snarf.
Mom and Dad took their grandchildren to the beach to fly kites one evening.
We had such a wonderful time, as we do every year together!
In case you were worried about the geriatric feline, your concerns are unfounded.
She spent the week with our darling Ashleigh!
A single attentive adult must have been like Club Med for our curmudgeon of a cat!













No comments:
Post a Comment