We ventured out for a little 2 state mini vacation last week. We headed south and stopped at Dinosaur World. It's a lot like Jurassic Park, only with fake dinosaurs:)
I passed this fella each time I drove to see Trinity when we were dating.
It turns out this T Rex resides with about 200 other dinosaurs and it only costs like $15 a person to get in! 90 degrees and a tour of dinosaur statues? Sign us up.
They don't advertise the cost. T Rex lures you in with those tiny arms that beckon weary travelers (we were 3 hours from home) and traps you in a crappy gift shop where you can't tell your kid no.
We told ourselves it was a bargain.
I mean it was kind of like Disney and like $190 cheaper for each of us!
Win!
My face in a hole obsession was replaced by a face in an egg.
G was worn out after the tour and a romp on the Dinosaur playground and she napped all the way to Nashville.
We hung out in the 12South area and enjoyed Las Paletas. Their popsicles are another favorite for me and T.
I hit up Draper James again, but did not find anything that I needed or wanted.
We journeyed south to Manchester, Trinity's old town of residence. He was living there when we met and dated for 2 years long distance. We are quite certain we were meant to be because 6 years of marriage later we were shocked about how long the drive was.
I really think it was longer due to a whiney 3 year old.
It was a breeze when I was a carefree 28 year old who drove a BMW but needed my parents to buy me a new furnace.
Oh, the memories.
We hiked T's weekly trail.
We stayed the night at the Sewanee Inn. Sewanee, The University of the South, is such an idyllic little campus. This was another place we visited when we were young.
We all went to bed at 8:00 local time.
Traveling with Genevieve is no joke.
The next morning we decided to visit Ruby Falls as part of our tour de Chattanooga.
My parents took me as a child, but I didn't remember much otherwise I would have kept my tail out of that damn cave.
After Mammoth Cave I claimed I would never darken the door (as if those ground pits could get any darker) of another cave.
I lied.
After this trek I swear I will NEVER GO IN ANOTHER CAVE.
I managed not to have an anxiety attack as I squeezed through some tight passages on the heels of Lady G, who kept saying, "are we almost there?"
We saw the Falls.
There were no rubies.
G loved it! The colors! The sound! It was marvelous.
Then we had to get out of it.
This is where/when my child suddenly rendered herself unable to walk.
She suffered from this malady about 5 minutes after we started back.
Now, please realize we were going single file through this hole in the Earth. She simply dropped to her knees and screamed, "I can't waaaaaaallllllllllkkkkkkk!!!!"
Oh hell.
Trinity tried to pick her up and get her to walk. He looked like a demented marionette handler as he walked and she let her toes drag on the ground and screamed.
We passed other groups who openly cackled at us.
We promised her ice cream if she walked. She then walked sporadically while crying about wanting ice cream.
Hecklers yelled things like "Get that kid some ice cream!'
"Oh, poor little girl, she's so tired! Yada, yada, yada.
This did not help the situation.
It was a most miserable 20 minute walk of shame.
When we reached the surface of humanity I grabbed T's shoulders and started pushing him and shouting "Chile! Chile" like those poor Chilean miners who were saved after like 79 days underground.
I sympathize with them more than ever after that hour of torture.
G didn't get her ice cream.
Part 2 to come!
















No comments:
Post a Comment