Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mexican Riviera Honeymoon

Trinity and I left the day after our wedding for our honeymoon. This was unpleasant. I was a tad overserved at my wedding, so I was feeling less than ready to board an airplane the next day. Fortunately, I was feeling better by the time we left Atlanta and was pretty normal when we arrived in Cancun. Our all-inclusive resort was located about 20 minutes from the airport, and was just lovely. I apologize in advance for all of the swimsuit photos, but we seriously lived in them for a week. The weather was fabulous.
Trinity poses by the pool.
This was my best accessory for the week. I'm not interested in skin cancer,nor am I interested in looking like an old leather shoe face when I'm 50.
We floated around in the pool like obnoxious honeymooners, hanging all over each other. Trinity's quote of the week, "Bets, its awful hard to kiss you with that big lid on your head all of the time."
Here I took a brief reprieve from my lid.
The water was so clear that I actually wasn't afraid to get in it.

We spent a lot of time on these double cabana things. Trinity took many naps on these.
My man in a hammock. He has a hammock radar. He loves these things. This one was perched over the pool and shaded, which made it perfect for him to swing, and swing he did. A lot.

"Take a picture of me, honey. I'll pose like I'm Daryl Hannah in Splash, except without the mermaid tail and amazing abs."

I also discovered a love of Monopoly on this trip. There was this great lounge with an open bar and board games. I have never been a huge board game player, one need only ask my friend Courtney to confirm this fact. She whines that I never play board games with her. Well, game on, Court. I'm hooked. This was perfect when it really got too hot, even in the pool.
My husband enjoys historical sites. Since I am a child of a history lovin' father, I've seen my fair share of Civil War battlefields. I do enjoy history too, but just not when it is like 102 degrees in the shade. I show you....Chichen Itza, ancient civilization of the Mayans.

It is hot and I'm miserable.
Here's the happy historian.
We did learn from our tour guide that the Mayans were very brutal. To establish class among the people, heads were key. The shape of one's head and facial features indicated social status. They put pressure on their babies' heads to shape accordingly. This often cut off oxygen to the brain causing mental handicaps. I was horrified. The guide said fortunately extreme practices such as face/head shaping are now extremely rare in the world.

Really, tour guide? It seems to me that there are plenty of cat breeders in the midwest who engage in the practice of flattening faces. Meet my own Mayan kitty, Kashmir.
As part of the tour we had the option of jumping in a sinkhole to swim. Trinity was front and center. I declined, thanks.
We finished our touring with this beautiful church.
Lastly, I leave you with this little parlor trick. The pool had a hidden ledge. I liked to pretend like I was walking on water and doing amazing things.

No comments: