My school district continues to have a growing number of English language learners. We are teaching more and more students from Burma. This past Saturday, the Chin community celebrated Chin National Day. They celebrate their culture with dances, food, speeches, and wrestling. That's right, I said wrestling. T was intrigued. I was excited to see many of my students and meet their families.
Here is one of my first graders wearing traditional Chin attire.
These two are fourth grade students.
WWF-Chin Style.
The men wrestled in front of the crowd. They wear belts and they have to be holding on to their opponent's belt at all times. It's super intense. There also appeared to be no weight classes, and they just rolled up their pant legs and grappled on the floor. The winner of each match went right on to the next match with no break. It looked exhausting.
I strategically placed myself behind this baby. At that point I lost all awareness of anything else around me.
We got a huge kick out of how huge we were and how conspicuous we were. I am an absolute giant around my students, but I was unprepared to feel the same way around their parents. At one point I started taking giant steps and huffing, "fee, fi, fo fum-"
Trinity took a picture to try and showcase his giantess wife.
I returned the favor. We had no difficulty seeing the matches from the very back. It was such a great afternoon.

No comments:
Post a Comment