Betsy

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 11, 2015

We Run! Sort of




I spend a lot of time hunting for things to do around Indy, so that my kid is somewhat well rounded.  On Friday night I found that Butler University was having a Family 5K race with activities.
Those activities included a 4 and under race.
I was sold.
I registered Trinity since he's all fancy and tracks all his runs on his watch and is always looking for more arch support, etc.

I shocked him at the registration table where he got his number.  


G requested a rainbow on her hand and a star on her face.
I fondly thought of Starbrite, one of my favorite characters .



Then it was time to pick out a balloon animal.  


This guy was no amateur.  I was stunned by his creations.


Genevieve got Ariel, whose beautiful mermaid tail would be severed mere moments later.  


The speed demon took off and G and I just started strolling a bit on the race trail.  We passed these darling college girls who were directing people on the path and they told me I was doing a good job.
I guffawed and explained that we weren't official race participants, but were just killing time until we could meet T at the finish line.
One of the girls, who could possibly be the Diana Berry to my Anne Shirley, said "Just act like you're running and we'll take some action shots!"
Don't mind if I do!


Ariel survived our 30 second run.  


Unfortunately, her lower appendages did not survive G's very heavy footed ways.
She dropped her and stumble stomped on her, smooshing a large flat green balloon onto the concrete.
She rallied quickly.  We were seconds from the kids' race.  


T pumped her up with tips and tried to transfer his 7:25 mile pace to the 75 feet she was able to conquer.  


I shan't include the video.  She ran like the wind next to me and then about 30 feet in she  started screaming and crying.  She told me her stomach hurt.
I understand.  That usually happens to me a few minutes into a run.  
I think it was the banana and 2 munchkin donut holes she downed 5 minutes earlier from her father's choice of snacks.  

I got her to rally and finish the race.  There was a guy who told her that she was a winner and gave her a fancy ribbon, and suddenly the pain was gone and happiness was restored.  

Trinity ran a great race at 23 min 30 seconds.  I instagrammed and I left off those 30 seconds.  I was kinda embarrassed about how slow he was.  Nonsense!  I forgot the 30 seconds.  

No comments: