Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Earth Day 2017

 This year I did a lot with my class in observance of Earth Day.  We read lots of books about recycling, reusing, and reducing.  We wrote thank you letters to Mother Earth and we also presented projects where my children reused an item by turning it into something else.  
My favorite was a giant piggy bank that was made out of one of those giant plastic barrels that cheese balls come in.  
Earth Day was on a Saturday this year and the weather was gorgeous.  Genevieve chose to visit her favorite spot,  (besides the mall-Lord) the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

The new Audubon exhibit was there.
Although he killed every bird that he subsequently painted, at the time he was known as a conservationist.
I tried not to focus on the dead bird aspect, but more on the beautiful artwork:)

There was a little display about helping the Earth, and G decided to write recycle.
I dictated how to spell it, and she wrote it.




Look at that sweet concentration.
She insisted on clipping it herself.


"I don't like where it is, Momma!!!
Why won't you help me???"


Cue the Sybil routine.
Good grief, she wears me out.

We spent most of the time exploring the gardens.
They just added a beer garden to the greenhouse, so that's a win win for everyone.
T had a beer and I had some Riesling and a Bavarian soft pretzel.  It was divine and I insisted that he call me Frau.

Now I have always considered myself a body double for Big Bird, so this photo worked out well.  



Our next stop was Nicey Popsicles for a treat.

Mango for G, key lime for me, and something spicy for T.


The day concluded with a bike ride, which is how she will be getting to school from now on to conserve the Earth's resources.


Minnie and Jacques will be her chaperones on her trek to preschool.
I will be riding on a solar powered rickshaw, drinking Kombucha, and eating kale chips on my way to school.
I wish.
Happy Earth Day!  


No comments: