Betsy

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 2, 2014

13 Years of Teaching

On Friday I concluded my 13th year of teaching!  I can't believe how quickly it has gone.  I think it's only fitting to recap year 1, as it was one I will never forget.  
Let's start back at Indiana University, where I first learned about this teaching gig.  
This is my senior composite picture, taken in the fall of 2000.  I was 21.

This was taken on graduation day, in May of 2001.
I had accepted a 1st grade teaching position in Durham, North Carolina, and I was eager to begin my professional career.  


Check out that naive face.
I was jazzed about visions of collaborative learning groups.
Little did I know I would soon be hoping I survived the day without getting kicked in the shins by one of these darlings.  
I present my first class.  


Oh, they look sweet.
They were not.

They were the most ill-behaved group of children I have ever encountered in my life.  To this day, I have not met a rougher crew.  
The woman on the left was my trusty assistant.  By trusty, I mean not trustworthy.  She would say, "Betsy, I'm going to get a Pepsi."  Mind you, the Pepsi machine was located about 30 feet down the hallway.  She would then be gone for roughly 45-170 minutes, smoking behind the building and/or visiting friends somewhere.  
It was a nightmare.  Despite having read Harry Wong's "First Days of School" book, my behavior management skills were no match for this classroom of hellions.  
I would listen to Carole King's Tapestry everyday on my drive to school, cry and call my dad.  He would encourage me by telling me that this was not worth all of the misery and  I could quit.  I was determined not to.  
I I felt like Morgan Freeman in Lean On Me, but instead of radioing to "Get those chains off the doors" I wanted them on to keep my class out.  
I know this may sound dramatic, but I did not know that such young children could act like that.  I'm talking 6 year olds who cursed, threw things and spit at me.
There is no happy ending where I transformed the truly naughty ones.  
 I just finished the year and moved on.  
Every time I have a bad day now, I ask myself if it's as bad as year 1.  Somehow, it never is:)


No comments: