Betsy

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Romeo, Oh Romeo

A close up shot, please excuse me in it. I swear I'm not a man, contrary to what this photo may insinuate-

Trying on my future mother-in-law's wedding gown, and posing like Juliet


Oh, I'm so excited. I have this little plan that I hope will come to fruition. I thought it would be cool to wear my mother's wedding gown to my rehearsal dinner. I wanted to cut it off and make it a short little cocktail dress. There were three insurmountable obstacles to this goal.

#1 obstacle: Young Janie Lamb (mi madre) was 6'1 and about 125 bones when she got married back in 1971. Her spawn might as well be named Brunhilda in comparison. I got a good 20-25 pounds on her, oh and I'm 2" shorter. So I don't think it would fit.
#2 obstacle: Jane's dress had a very high lacy collar, which would be something akin to me making a scarf out of tags and wrapping it around myself. Not likely.
#3 obstacle: By far the most challenging. Even if obstacles #1 & #2 weren't present, I believe my mother's wedding dress floated down Honey Creek in the great Allendale flood of 2008. We haven't seen it in its box since that fateful day. Mother had brilliantly stored it in the garage, along with lawn care tools and an old treadmill.

I still wanted to wear something meaningful for my rehearsal dinner, so it dawned on me that sweet Trinity's parents had too engaged in a matrimonial ceremony. His mother, Pat, wore a wedding dress! This could actually still happen. When I asked her about her gown, she graciously offered it to me to wear. My only hesitation was that I hadn't seen it, and I had no idea if it would fit. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of trying on this lovely dress. I was so relieved when I saw it, because I loved the square neck, soft cotton lace and comfy fit. It seemed that my future mother-in-law's dress was the antithesis of Jane's itchy scratchy, made for a 12 year old girl gown.

I have an appointment with a tailor next week to see if my vision is possible. We won't cut unless we can do exactly what I want-to remove the sheer sleeves, cut it to above my knees, and reattach the lace at the bottom to the new hem. Updates to follow!

No comments: