As a child growing up with my mother, we had one show that we watched religiously. The Cosby Show? No. Family Ties? No. Growing Pains? No. Alf? No, well actually, yes, but not what I'm talking about. My dear mother loved Designing Women. We watched these reruns all of the time! We never grew tired of the adventures of Julia, Suzanne, Charlene, Mary Jo, and Anthony.
We constantly tuned in to listen to Julia rant in her southern drawl, Anthony talk about his "unfortunate incarceration," Suzanne talk about her reign as Miss Georgia World, and watch the looney Bernice in action. My mother wrapped my sister and I up in a world of graceful southern living, and I imagined that Katie and I would forever be together in the same town, perhaps decorating homes and going out to lunch. We would have a maid that was always in danger of being deported, and one of us would be married multiple times.
We like to pull out Designing Women quotes whenever we can, such as "Suzanne's gonna exfoliate me!" Katie recently told me that her dear pal, Brenda Potter, plays Golden Girls trivia nightly with her sister. They try to stump each other with questions. Katie has this brilliant idea for us to talk nightly and see who exactly is the supreme head hauncho of useless Anthony Bouvier knowledge.
We started out, and are a little shaky on the rules. For example, I asked what happened the night that Suzanne threw her baton in the Miss Georgia World contest. Without hesitation, Katie quips, "it hit the rafters, sending sparks, and that WAS THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA!" I claimed that this was correct, but the answer I was looking for was "grown men wept." We then both laughed until we were teary eyed. This could get good.


No comments:
Post a Comment