Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2010

1980-1989: A Decade of Decadence and Pure Athleticism

Last night our friends Tim, Jamie, Jodi and Tyler hosted a 1980s Olympics Athletes Party. The entire event was very organized, with 3 main events. We competed in pairs in beer pong, darts and corn hole, all in the comfort of Jodi and Tyler's basement. When it comes to themed parties, my pals totally bring it.
Exhibit A: Tim aka as The Bomber aka Richie Tenenbaum. Tim paid homage to one of my favorite characters of all time. One of my favorite quotes from the movie, with Luke Wilson and Gwyneth Paltrow-
Richie: You dropped some cigarettes.
Margot: Those aren't mine.
Richie: They just fell out of your pocket.
Tim had to do a lot of stretches to warm up.
So did Tyler and Nick. In fact, Richard Simmons encouraged us all to do a bit of stretching, pre competition.
Richard, Robby and I decided to have a little fun with the Slapshot. Tim got this for his 30th birthday, and it has made many appearances at events. 3 shot glasses=a communal shot taking experience.
Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff. Who could have predicted that those two former tennis stars would:
a. become bald, losing all evidence of that fabulous feathered hair (him)
b. get married
c. peddle overpriced watches together?

It must be said that this Head tennis warm up jacket is an original from my mother's closet. Back when I was growing up, mom had two major daily tasks. One was to go to the Tennis Bubble and play matches followed up by a leisurely lunch, and the other was to serve up pipin' hot tortilla chips with nacho cheese at the after school snack bar at Honey Creek Junior High School. Fortunately, the numerous Head tennis outfits she owned served both of these purposes efficiently. I was thrilled that despite the fact that neither of these tasks are currently part of her daily routine, she still hung on to a few warm up suits. They were stored neatly next to all of my prom dresses, Madame Alexander dolls and other such nonsense that she would love to unload somewhere other than her house.
Moving on...
Olivia Newton John encouraged us to get physical. Jodi did Jamie's bangs, and that special moment brought back some childhood memories for them!
Robeghan rocked the tennis player and downhill skier quite well.
Everyone looked awesome. However, none of us were prepared for the arrival of these two:

Ekaterina and Sergei
or
Steve and Allison
I had to google that darling couple from Russia who was married. I couldn't come up with their names last night, so we alternated between referring to Steve as Demetri and Brian Boitano.
Here's a close up of the woman's top he wore, along with eyeliner.

Lastly, I close with a video. I thought Rob was taking a picture, but he actually recorded me, Jamie and Meghan. This video had me laughing so hard. My voice and comment sounds like 3rd grade Betsy, and this has all of my signature dance moves, particularly the zip/unzip I like to do with dance partners. It also has a bit of Steve in it. This was taken after a Woodchuck Cider and 2 shots of Don Julio. That was enough for me.

Please pardon all of the creepy orbs in the pictures. I think I'll need to add Sony Carl Zeiss digital camera to my 2010 Christmas wish list.

2 comments:

meezo said...

Goodness we missed a good party...and I missed an opportunity to be on your blog..darn! We had hockey games until 10pm last night. Hockey tourney all weekend. Looks like you had a great time. Steve & Allison's photo almost made me spit out my iced tea.

Schovillova said...

thank you thank you thank you for documenting this event and then sharing. awesome.