Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Short Trip to the Inlaws

Trinity and I went for a quick little over night visit to see his parents in Kentucky. We had a wonderful time, but I didn't do a very good job taking pictures. I only got a couple at their house. We arrived Saturday afternoon and enjoyed many margaritas outside on their patio. Eddie grilled out and then we watched our Butler Bulldogs beat that Virginia team.
I say "our Butler" but I'm totally just one of those Good Time Charlies who just jumps on the bandwagon when someone wins. There, I admit it, unlike a lot of other citizens of Indianapolis! Butler is a beautiful campus here in Indy, and I had several friends from high school who went there, so I'm thrilled to see their success.

We also visited with Charlotte and Trevor. We had an impromptu karaoke session with tunes from youtube. I wowed the crowd with oldies from Neil Diamond, The Supremes and the Shirelles. I then launched into 2 solos from Carole King's album, Tapestry. This is my all time favorite album. If you don't know it, get it. You heard about its awesomeness here first, not in 1971 when it first debuted. I'm totally hip to new trends:)
We had key lime pie, complete with bunny heads.
Only at my mother-in-law's house could one indulge in such a treat.
She likes the little touches. I totally love it.

We left Sunday afternoon and stopped at Old Fort Harrod state park. We had ourselves a little picnic, packed by Pat.
Then we toured all of the replicas of the fort and settlement. I had T photog this amazing tree. I'm in there somewhere. Can you find me? Hint-I'm not the man on the right-
Please excuse my Carmela Soprano outfit. They are my traveling clothes.

Inside this chapel was the actual cabin where Abraham Lincoln's parents were married. That was cool. I got hot and had to shed my top layer.
I got to work in the wood working cabin. I felt like I was a on a field trip, minus a bunch of annoying kids. The little work bench provided a chance for me to mess with triangles of plywood. I'm sure that they were original to the settlement of Kentucky. Plus, check out the craftsmanship of that beautiful metallic leather bag that the fort tanner made. I felt so lucky to stumble across such a fashionable relic, so I took it. I jest, it was my bag.
Here is T in front of the Lincolns' marital cabin. I think it is the exact same size as our house. T loved it. He mentioned that the most amazing thing was that the cabin had actual lights way back then. He is so witty, you know. We all know Abe learned to read by candlelight, which probably was totally unfulfilling in every way. First, it would have strained his eyes, and second he didn't get the amazing chance to learn how to read from a fun schoolteacher such as me.
This was the meat preservation trough. Yuck. I believe that this has been replaced by the modern Frigidaire.
What are ewe looking at?
I leave you with a pun. You're welcome.

No comments: