Now I mentioned in the previous post that Trinity bought me a new slicker. That was because he claimed I needed a Patagonia rain jacket for my hike in the rainforest. It turns out he was right.
We rented a car and prepped to leave our hotel for an all day adventure in the rainforest. He packed a backpack and then strapped this thing to my back. It was a backpack with a water pack he called a bladder.
Gross.
It also had a tube that you could suck the water from, and it had a magnet that held it right in place. I love magnets. This kept me entertained for the entire 30 minute drive. Snap. Disconnect. Repeat. I'm actually a 4 year old boy.

See? Proof that we went!

Beautiful waterfall, with my left thumb prominently displayed!

Our first little jaunt took us to a small tower.
I was actually fascinated by the tree roots that looked like skinny carrots. Not baby carrots. Skinny carrots.

Ponce de Leon himself.
There were many different hikes, but he insisted that we go to the very top, which the sign said would take like 2 hours and 40 minutes. Uphill.
So off we went. The rainforest was awesome, I must admit. Everything was lush, green, and wet. It was humid, but shaded.
I was fine for like the first 90 minutes. Then I was just over it. This was when I had to push myself. Either it was me, or my husband, who suddenly turned into Bob, the "motivational" trainer from The Biggest Loser.
He kept saying, "Bets, we must summit!" "We will summit!"
I just wanted him to stop using the word summit as a verb.
It was grammatically correct, I just prefer to use it as a noun.
As in, "I shall reach the summit. Then I will rip your face off."

Is this the summit?
No. It was just another freakin' high point.
Not the summit.
This is the summit!!!
It took us 2 hours.
We are rock stars, and much faster than the sign writers.
Look at the angst on my face. You might think it was from completing that arduous journey. It was, sort of.
It was more a look of disgust when I reached the top only to stand next to a sweaty, hairy buffalo of a man wearing only tight rock bike shorts!
EEEEEWWWWW!!!!!
I was actually thrilled that we did it!
It was a stunning view and a fabulous memory.
My day did not end there. We continued to Fajardo to do the bioluminescent kayaking tour. With my legs half dead it was time for my arms to catch up.
I have no pictures. You get so wet that you don't want to have a camera unless it's waterproof, which we know I don't have.
I do have 23 mosquito bites on my arms, neck, back and face.
T stopped counting there. He didn't even bother with my legs and ankles.
Fun, with a possibility of malaria!

No comments:
Post a Comment