Betsy

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

We Support Public Television

We are patrons of the arts, you know.  I am the single biggest contributor to the public arts scene in Indianapolis.  I'm not even embarrassed to tell you that, since it's absolutely false.  I have been known to contribute to NPR sporadically, but we owe tonight's public broadcasting soiree to the WFYI membership of my soon to be sister in law, Meghan. 
She invited us to attend a preview of Ken Burns' new documentary on PBS/WFYI called Prohibition.  I love me some public radio and TV, so naturally we said yes.  The WFYI building was transformed into a speakeasy from the 20s.  Me likey.
We were greeted outside by an old friend, Big Bird.  

 Big Bird and I have a lot in common, as I have actually been referred to as Big Girl by some very insensitive kindergartners.

These evening had some serious awesome elements including this lovely lady, known as The Black Pearl.  She referred to herself in the 3rd person, as in, "The Black Pearl is going to sing you a song now, darlings."  I think Jimmy might have liked The Black Pearl more than he liked Elaine.  
 Element of Awesomesauce #2:
The presence of one Terry Lee.
That would be Terry Lee of Terry Lee Honda, the one who promises TLC, or The Terry Lee Commitment.  He was a sponsor and received an award.  He also made the mistake of trying to get some stuffed mushrooms near my brother, providing a perfect opportunity for me to get photographic evidence of that mini man car dealer extraordinaire.
 The booze was a flowin' up in that speakeasy.
 T sampled many a beer, requiring me to drive us home.  He described his favorite as "that beer that Jamie drinks all the time, Chantilly Lace?"  Um no, that would be Stella Artois.  I didn't marry that man for his intellect, that's for sure.
 They gave away champagne truffles from The Best Chocolate in Town, which has the best chocolate in town.  I bought about $35 worth of it for Trinity's parents for Christmas back in 2009 and my parents' fool dog got under the tree and ate the whole 2lb box.  She didn't even have the decency to die after that.  Imagine the rudeness!
 They also had a photo booth!  We love a photo booth, as you might recall from our wedding.  

 This clearly wasn't Robby's first rodeo.  Check out that pose.
 The lovely public television folks gave me a name tag and a feather to put in my hair for the whole flapper theme.  

Martinis, song birds, chocolate truffles, photo booth shots and free feathers made me think the night couldn't get any better.  I was wrong.  As we left the WFYI studio, we encountered this couch.  Husband and I are super Klassy, so we had to get our groove on with this squiggly couch.  
 Levitating....
 Planking...
Peggy Sue got married in burlesque style poses.  

Fortunately for WFYI we had to become members.  We can't let these types of events occur without our support.

No comments: