Betsy

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Trinity and I drove south on Thursday to meet his parents for Thanksgiving.  They are in the process of moving soon, so we felt it would be easier to meet in between Indiana and Tennessee.  Fortunately, Kentucky is right there!
Y'all following me?

We spent 3 nights at The Galt House in Louisville.  I am most familiar with that hotel, as it was where I spent my bachelorette weekend.  Eddie, Patsy and Trinity know how to par-tay, so we had lots of fun.  I ate 3/4 of a box of bourbon balls.  Those things are amazing.  

Pat got information about places to visit at the visitor's center.  
The Colonel was also there.  
My southern boy does like fried chicken.

We saw the holiday parade.  We were really expecting a lot.  Our expectations were dashed when we saw 2 Shriners in mini-cars and about 4 Girl Scout troops marching with their parents.  Oh, well.  Nothing could dash our holiday spirit!  

Our unbridled spirit was apparent when we closed down the season at Churchill Downs.  I never miss an opportunity to see those beautiful horses, mini-men and mint juleps.


Fall at the track calls for Patagonia in force.


Mint julep

Eddie saw a former colleague at the track, and he invited us in to the special area that was closer to the horses and jockeys.






Having extensive experience with horse riding as a youngster, I know how challenging it can be to mount a horse.  When I was about 5' 1'' as an elementary schooler, I used to go on trail rides on a horse called Bunny or Carrot or some equally benign name at Gnaw Bone Camp at least once a summer.  That makes me an expert equestrienne.  

I recorded the effortless ease with which these teeny men jumped up on their horses.  I fought the urge to run forward with my hands clasped together to give them a boost.  I saw Calvin Borel, who is quite famous in the jockey world.  I looked for Tobey Maguire, but he's only a jockey in the movies.  
     

We loved the races and all of the other fun things we did with my in laws this weekend.  We are looking forward to visiting them in their new house at Christmas.

No comments: