Betsy

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Tights, Falls and Cotillions

I have been wearing tights with regularity.  That's a big deal for me, oh ye girl who hates tights.  Here is proof from when Trinity and I went to the Opera.
We learned we don't like opera.  Our second arts destination event was ill received by us.  I find it ridiculous.  I can't even appreciate it. I think it's terrible.  I said it.  Chew on that.

Friday proved eventful.  Graceful as I am I took a lovely tumble.  As I did my happy go lucky strut into school on Friday morning, my  sassy  boots hit a patch of ice.  I Charlie Browned myself into the air and hit my hip, shoulder, whipped my neck backwards and bonked my head on the asphalt.  There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  It hurt quite badly.  I howled like a baby.  Big girl was in pain.  

I was rescued from the parking lot by a couple of teachers and my principal.  After a couple of Advil, ice and a short rest on a cot in the nurse's office, I attempted to head back to my room.  Fortunately Sweet T had the day off for Veteran's Day and was able to come retrieve me after I felt nauseous and rather uncomfortable.  He took me to the Workers' Compensation approved doctor, who was far more interested in how long I was than in my injuries.  Some exact quotes:
"Your legs are hanging off the end of the table."  
"My, you are a tall lady!"
"Yes, the chart says 71 inches, my, my, my."
I got it, Doctor Obvious.  I is big, but am I concussed?

No, peeps, I was not.  I was sent home to do some heavy sitting.
3 days later I'm still sore with some sporadic headaches.  I must slow down.  This is my second big fall due to ice.  Remember the ice days back in February?  I fell then too.

Moving on...

I went home on Saturday to do some wedding dress shopping with soon to be sister in law, Meghan.  Her mom and my mom were there to opine, as was I.  No pictures, of course, but a dress was procured!  Success!
Meg teared up and I did my best dramatic Randy impression,
"Meg, is this your dress?"
It was and it is stunning!!!

I also spent time with my parents' chubby English Setter, London.

She gets "puppy whip" from the barista in the drive thru.  This is Starbucks speak for full fat whipped cream in a cup that will make your hound fully fat.  

I enjoyed the color of my favorite Gingko tree.

I used to climb that tree regularly despite its rank smell.  Those leaves are beautiful but they drop these bombs/nutty things that smell like death.

As Trinity and I search for a house, I realize I just want this one-

perhaps it is so perfect because of the memories, but I do love that house.  I want it.  If only I could kick my parents out and move it down I-70 on one of those big trucks.  Not bloody likely.

Finally, Mom and I attended  sweet Madison's Cotillion.  Madison and Morgan are the precious girls that live next door to my parents and occupied my summers when I was home from IU.  I ran those two darlings all over town, to their tennis lessons, Kumon math tutoring sessions and to friends' houses.  We would swim daily in their pool and have all kinds of fun.  They were little munchkins then, and now they are grown up.  Madison is a senior, and I am old.

Here is that little beauty, with her old babysitter.
Madison is 17
and
Betsy is 32.
Betsy is already jealous of that young, glowing skin. 

Betsy is so jealous that she is forced to reminisce over her own lost youth-

Betsy and Bob, November 1996.

I will stop referring to myself in the third person now.
How about that dress?
I still love it.
I will toot my own horn once again over my fashion choices.
Beautiful, right?

Why, yes,  yes it was-
Elizabeth Hurley and Estee Lauder thought so too.




No comments: