Betsy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

An Indy Experience

Saturday was a beautiful day here in Naptown, the first sunny day in quite a long time. T and I embarked on an adventure. We started our morning at Midland Arts and Antiques, one of my favorite spots. He had never been there, and I have been numerous times to just wander. It is right downtown, and they have tons and tons of random antiques that I find fascinating. I love rhinestone jewelry and furniture from the 40's and 50's. Odd side note. There was a guy with what my sniffer detected to be a Starbuck's Chai Tea Latte. I may have followed him around a few kiosks inhaling deeply. This fact can neither be confirmed nor denied.

We then headed to Goose the Market. If you visit Indy, I highly recommend it. If you live here and haven't been there, then you're an idiot. Seriously, I die each visit. They make the most delicious gourmet sandwiches. It's really more like a market with top notch meats and such, but they also have a deli too. We love "The Goose" sandwich. I order mine without the prosciutto. Avoiding pork helps me to avoid looking like the customer pictured below.

Oh, snap!

That's T's sandwich and overly sweet cherry cola.
This is my old school glass bottle Diet Coke. 8oz. Perfect size for me! Goose also sells these marvelous oatmeal cookies. They were formerly my dessert of choice at H2O sushi, but they sold the recipe to Goose. They are dense, divine and decadent. I have no more alliterative words to describe them. Oh, they are now digested.

I must credit Trinity for our next stop. I am normally the tour guide, as a resident of now 8 years. He found this lovely place. Garfield Park is located very close to our house. It is an Indy park, but also has an amazing conservatory!
Here I am in the sunken garden area. There are lots of fountains, and it is beautiful. The conservatory is behind me.

More gardens. It was kinda like Versailles, only cleaner.
I enjoyed the warmth of the conservatory and this waterfall over the Koi pond.

This tree flowers with a powder puff plant. What, Horton, what do you hear? Do you hear a Who? The Whos of Whoville? What? I explained all of this to T and tried to convince him that Cindi Lou-Who was living on that plant. He didn't buy it.

Oh, Monkey boy, you so funny!

Prepare yourself. We then spent our Saturday evening at the Shamrock and Roll, starring the Naptown Roller Girls! Don't f with those chicks!




This is an entirely new culture. There were lots of emo teens in the stands. It was pretty fascinating. The skaters are tough and they wear really bizarre outfits. Most of them were wearing my high school volleyball buns with ripped tights and roller skates. This was hard for me to stomach. They had names like Fonda Kiknbutz, Slammy Faye, and Kickabroad Crane. I enjoyed these clever monikers. I came up with "Betsy Bruiser-gets 'em, doesn't give 'em." T didn't think this would fly. I would not be a contender. I can't roller skate, plus aggression isn't my style. Neither are ripped panty hose and hot pants.

No comments: