It's Lent, peeps. That cherished time of penance for Catholics the world over. We can load up on extra guilt during this particular time. Oh, I kid. Seriously, I've always enjoyed Lent, starting with ashes on my forehead and ending with Easter, a truly miraculous holiday. I always try to give something up that I deem particularly unnecessary, which is usually enjoyable. I've given up cursing, chocolate, Diet Coke, etc. A few years ago I gave up my Starbucks Chai tea lattes. I found this to be incredibly challenging. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but recognition is important in recovery.
I've decided to go down that road again this year. I've got a bad habit, peeps. We're talking about 3 lattes a week. That's about $10 weekly. I refuse to admit that I'm into the caffeine. I think it's more the taste. We'll go with that.
I've shared my Lenten promise with my BFF Marinda. You know her.
Here we are wearing our BFF necklaces. It's official.
Marinda and I engage in the practice of brutal honesty with each other. We often preface our possibly unkind comments with "I don't want to hurt your feelings but..." then all gloves are off. It's like they do in the South when women talk smack about each other. As long as you start with "bless her heart..." you can say evil things without the risk of being catty. Anyway, I though Marinda would support my love for Jesus. Ah, no. Her words were:
"I love you Bets, but please no. Keep your Starbucks."
But why, I implored!
"Well, last time, you were kinda mean for like 6 weeks."
I now have a new goal. I shan't drink Starbucks and I shall remain kind. At least as kind as I usually am, which might be more appropriately described as "civil."
I told my favorite drive thru barista, Darryl, about my plan. Now you know I'm serious. I told him to shout "Ye love Jesus" if I attempted to come through the drive thru.
Now let's just hope I don't look like this woman in 42 days.

* I googled horned woman and this is what I got. Freaky, right?

1 comment:
I just laughed so hard when I saw the "horned woman" I woke Otey up beside me.
Post a Comment