Betsy

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I have a little known fact to share on this lovely spring day. My brother, sister and I were were once obsessed with World Wrestling Federation wrestling in the mid to late 80s. This doesn't really come to mind on most days, but today I learned that one of my favorites of WWF fame died today, as a result of a heart attack while driving. This is really quite sad. It also brought back a lot of hilarious memories for me.

I had lots of favorites. To name a few:
Hulk Hogan
Ted Debiose "The Million Dollar Man"
Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart
The Ultimate Warrior

I could go on and on. There was one name that stood out from the rest.
The Lovely Miss Elizabeth.

To say I was OBSESSED with the lovely Miss Elizabeth would be an understatement.
Those rhinestones. That feathered hair. The love triangle that existed between Elizabeth, Hulk and Macho Man. I recognized that sexual tension even as an 8 year old. It was crazy. She was unstoppable.
According to the never wrong, always accurate source of Wikipedia, Miss Elizabeth died of a drug overdose back in 2003. Boo hiss.
Before the three of us were carted off to our basketball games at the local Y, we would rise and eat our sugar filled cereal while watching WWF on Saturday mornings. We literally ate up the drama. I scoff at the drama and hair pulling on all of The Real Housewives shows. That stuff is so passe. Miss Elizabeth could really pull some hair if she was forced to.

As I might have mentioned before, our parents weren't too interested in patrolling our TV choices. In fact, Dad even indulged us in a lot of Pay Per View WWF events. You couldn't get SummerSlam '88 without paying a premium.

My dad was great. Not only did he pack the three of us up and take us to our town's event center for a traveling performance of WWF, he also drove to like 10 different grocery stores and convenience stores until he located these-

He purchased enough for all of our friends. He then paid again for Wrestlemania. We were maniacs. It was trashy. We loved it. Luckily, my parents influenced us positively in other ways so none of us ended up living in a van down by the river.

No comments: