Betsy

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2011

West Baden Resort Getaway

We were finally able to use our gift card that we received for Christmas from Trinity's parents this weekend at the West Baden Resort in French Lick. The weather was perfect and it was a fun evening to step back in time at this historic hotel.

T took in some booze disguised in a Nordstrom bag. They are closing their downtown store. The store I have visited at least once a week for the last 7 years. I'm so depressed. I can't even speak of it. Maybe this will force me to get an actual hobby beyond tea sipping and window shopping.

This was our guest room. We proclaimed this bed the most comfortable mattress ever. This discussion led to yet another enlightening declaration from Sweet T.
The conversation was this:
B: "This mattress is wonderful."
T: " Yes, but it is not a pillowtop."
B: "How in the world do you know that?"
T: "Bets, you know I worked at the Restonic Mattress Plant in New Albany back in the summer of 1995. I could carry a California King on my back alone without a second thought. Sometimes I would put my empty Lay's potato chip bags in random mattresses before they were sewn up after I ate lunch."

There you have it. Yet another story that proves my husband was a total rascal in his early days. What a goon.

We then decided to go on a bike ride. It was 90 degrees.

I love this photo. I had set up the timer on my camera on the side of his truck and was prepared to pose. Things went haywire and T lost control of his bike and it crashed into me and then I lost control of my bike. We are so coordinated. I laughed and thought of PeeWee and Dottie with their bikes.
I biked for approximately 22 minutes. That's minutes, not miles. I peddled back to the hotel on the bike path, leaving Trinity in my wake. He was concerned that I might crash. I almost did, but made it back safely. I then headed to the pool. He met me there. Before heading back to the room we decided to explore the grounds.
I am wearing my swim coverup and a pair of tennis shoes. I was missing my fanny pack. My fashion statement was impressive to the other guests, I'm sure.

This was the scene of my first musical number of the weekend. I treated T to a little Grecian Urns from The Music Man.
One Grecian urn.
Two Grecian urns....
We ate our dinner at the bar and then retired to the front porch for some evening drinking and rocking. The porch was so beautiful and historic. We imagined it was 1905 and decided that names like Trinity and Betsy weren't appropriate for that time.
I'd like you to meet my husband, Claude Fairchild of New York.
Allow myself to introduce myself. Bernadette Fairchild, if you please.
Trinity wanted to be Vanderbilts, but I told him they were real people and didn't fit into our little pretend game. He would have to be Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, and I would be forced to call him Corny for the remainder of the evening. Henceforth he was fine with Claude.
Claude's fancy flip flops came with a bottle opener. He was able to open my Woodchuck. We never broke character during this little "modern" trick.

The front porch is where I belted out my 2nd musical number of the trip. Claude heard the entire rendition of Burl Ives' "On the Front Porch" from the Disney movie, Summer Magic, one of my childhood favorites. Who doesn't love Burl Ives? I decided to refrain from trying to find a caterpillar and sing "Ugly Bug Ball" in an impromptu fashion. No, one Ives classic was enough for the evening.
Until departure day brought a rip roarin' version of "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top, " from Oklahoma.
Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry...
Glee has assured me that my habit of spontaneously bursting into Broadway song is completely normal. The problem is that I can't really sing on key. I make up for that though, with spunk!
Tiny iPhone photos by the pool!

I sent this photo to both my mother and sister this morning, while enjoying a margarita by the pool at 10 a.m.
I got identical responses from those two clowns. "Bets, are you naked?"
Yes, mother/sister fools, I'm naked. By the pool at a family resort. Geesh! Ever heard of a strapless bikini?

xoxo to Pat and Eddie!

No comments: